- Police in Birmingham raided an alleged ‘bomb-making factory’ this week after five men were arrested on suspicion of terror offences. The raid, in the Lee bank area of the city, is part of an ongoing intelligence-led investigation.
- A bridge which collapsed on the M20 motorway has left one motorcyclist hospitalised with a broken ribcage. The pedestrian bridge near the Borough Green area of Kent, collapsed after the crane arm of a digger crashed into the concrete structure bringing it down.
- A 30-year-old city banker has died from a `single punch to the head` this Sunday, following a night out with university fiends. Oliver Dearlove was viciously assaulted in Blackheath, South London in the early hours of the morning, moments after talking to a group of women. He was taken to hospital but doctors were unable to save him. Dearloves`s mother, Joy Wright, revealed that he had been trying for a baby with his girlfriend of four years and described him as the `perfect son`. Police are now trying to trace the four females he had been speaking to at the time of the attack.
- The bodies of 5 family members have been discovered in a house in Oakdene in County Cavan, Ireland this week after a suspected murder-suicide. The body of Alan Hawe, believed to be a teacher in his 40`s, was found alongside that of his wife and three sons. Police are currently exploring the theory that Alan stabbed his wife to death before turning on his young sons.
- At least 250 people have been killed in Italy after a 6.2 magnitude earthquake tore through the centre of the country this Wednesday. The earthquake, which struck at around 3.30am local time, caused hundreds of homes to collapse, leaving both children and adults stuck under the rubble. Rescuers are still searching for victims.
- Lloyds banking boss, Antonio Horta Osorio was forced to apologise to his 75,000 staff this week after being caught having an alleged affair whilst on a business trip. 52-year-old Osorio, a married father-of-three, spent a large proportion of his time during the trip in his hotel room where he was accompanied by Dr Wendy Piatt, a 45-year-old director general of the Russell Group of universities. He has faced an intense backlash from the media for his actions, many questioning what was paid for on expenses, after racking up a room bill of £3,276 during the trip.
- A 28-year-old Italian wing suit pilot has died this week after attempting to jump from a mountain top near Kandersteg, Switzerland. Amin Schmieder was broadcasting the jump to his friends via social media network Facebook, when the jump went horribly wrong. Police are still investigating the exact cause of death.
- A mother-of-two from Australia has been charged with the murder of a police officer in Bali this week. 45-year-old Sara Conner and her British DJ boyfriend, David Taylor spent three days on the run after beating First Inspector Wayan Sudarsa to death with a beer bottle on Kuta Beach. His bloodied body was found with 17 head wounds. If convicted of murder, the pair could face up to 15 years in prison.
- A young british woman was stabbed to death in Australia this week in what police are calling a case of crazed`infatuation`. Mia Ayliffe-Chung, 21, was butchered in a bloody rampage in front of 30 other guests at a backpackers hostel in Queensland, by French knifeman Smail Ayad. It is believed that Ayad, 29, had become obsessed with Chung, reportedly telling other guests at the hotel that they were married, despite her rejecting his advances.