- A man who died 27 times in hospital has this week praised staff at the Worcestershire Royal hospital for saving his life. Ray Woodhall, 54, from Wednesbury in theWest Midlands, suffered a heart attack and consequently went into cardiac arrest so many times that nurses had to resuscitate him.
- The body of a 48-year-old man has been found in the rubble left after at a block of Oxford flats went up in flames last Tuesday. Guido Schuette had been reported missing by police following the blaze which also left two people with minor injuries. Investigators are still carrying out inquiries as to how the fire began.
- A 14-year-old boy has been charged with attempted murder after a man was left battling for his life in attack at Middleton Street, Leicester this Friday. The teenager, who cannot be named for legal reasons, has also been charged with robbery and possession of an offensive weapon. Two other boys, aged 13 and 15, were charged with robbery. Local police have said despite the victims devastating injuries, he is now in a stable condition.
- Former socialite, Tara Palmer-Tomlinson died peacefully in her sleep after suffering from a perforated ulcer and not a brain tumour, her coroner has revealed. The 45-year-old had been happy and positive before her death according to family and friends and was not suffering from any illness.
- Dutch populist leader Geert Wilders has has sparked outrage across Europe after referring to Moroccans as “scum”. Wilders, who this week launched his election campaign, said, “There is a lot of Moroccan scum in Holland who make the streets unsafe…If you want to regain your country, make the Netherlands for the people of the Netherlands again, then you can only vote for one party.” Although he later added that, “not all are scum”.
- At least one person has died and more than 20 have been injured close to the Belgian capital of Brussels this Saturday after a train carriage derailed.
- A North Korean national has been arrested alongside an Indonesian woman, a Malaysian man and a woman with a vietnamese passport this weekend following the murder of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s half-brother,Kim Jong-nam. Malaysian police believe Jong-nam was poisoned to death after being sprayed in the face with a liquid whilst waiting to board a flight.
- The co-founder of Microsoft, Bill Gates has issued a startling warning that tens of millions of people could be killed by bio-terrorism, after changes in molecular biology have made the development of biological weapons more accessible. During his speech at the Munich security conference this week, Gates, who has spent billions in a philanthropic drive to improve health worldwide, said “The next epidemic could originate on the computer screen of a terrorist intent on using genetic engineering to create a synthetic version of the smallpox virus … or a super contagious and deadly strain of the flu.